Linda J Laubenheimer
San Jose, CA 95112; Telephone: 408-828-7804
E-mail: lj2015 at laubenheimer dot net
(Reassemble to get around the spam block)
Specialist in Linux systems with multi-colo operations experience. Desire a position solving problems,
learning and implementing new technologies, sharing knowledge, and working closely with a dynamic team.
Curious and happy to learn, offer a broad variety of experience and talents, including the ability to
develop new skills rapidly.
- Operating Systems: Linux (RedHat Enterprise, Debian), UNIX (Solaris), BSD
- Languages: Perl, Shell scripts (sh, bash, csh), HTML, CSS
- Unix/Linux Tools: Git, SVN, Perforce, CVS, Nagios/Icinga, RPM, Kickstart, OpenLDAP, BIND, Chef,
SaltStack, puppet, Postfix, Rsyslog, SIPxchange, MySQL, VMWare
- Client Software: Open Office, Emacs, Nano, MS Office, Google Docs
- Other: Kanban using Trello, Scrum with Rally
- Software Engineer, Gap, Pleasanton, CA, contract (Intelliswift), January 2015 - Present
- Monitoring. Set up monitoring in Nagios via Chef (roles, nodes, data bags) in
JSON. Write custom monitoring plugins as needed.
- Software Engineer, Intuit, Menlo Park, CA, contract (Cydio), January 2014 - December 2014
- Monitoring! Upgrade and clean up monitoring and alerting with Nagios, upgrade to
Icinga & PNP4Nagios, Cacti, etc. Write plugins in Bash or Perl. Configure production systems with SaltStack
- Service Engineer, Yahoo! Sunnyvale, CA, August 2011 - December 2013
- Operations duties, including routine and emergency deployments, troubleshoot site
up issues. Participate in on-call rotation, develop shell and perl scripts for operational tests, deployments and
fixes. Document deployment processes, write oncall runbooks, train other SEs, create knowledge base entries. Act
as a operations subject matter expert on a couple different application stacks.
- Senior Systems Administrator, Aggregate Knowledge, San Mateo, CA, January 2011 - June 2011
- Configured packages, wrote monitoring scripts, build in-house RPMs, took part
in 24/7 on-call rotation, and wrote or revised in-house documentation.
- Service Engineer, Yahoo! Sunnyvale, CA, contract (ITC), October 2010 - January 2011
- Linux/BSD support and maintenance.
- Systems Engineer, A9.com, Palo Alto, CA, December 2004 - April 2009
- Monitored, maintained or upgraded internal Linux infrastructure and user tools as
well as taking part in the 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Successfully implemented PingTel SIPXchange VoIP phone system for Linux.
- Evaluated hardware needs, costs, and purchase history.
- Improved monitoring with Nagios and custom plugins.
- Set up and refine kickstarts for new RedHat releases.
- Acted as a technical resource for developers on hardware and Linux OS issues.
- Developed and documented disaster recovery plan.
- Mentored and trained junior systems administrators.
- Linux Systems Developer, Wyse, San Jose, CA, contract (EWork), May 2004 - October 2004
- Part of a team developing an embedded Linux solution for thin clients.
- Adapted various open source packages to the trimmed down environment of an embedded distribution.
- Wrote various scripts to act as glue to the embedded gui.
- Wrote design and testing documentation for the implementations of Linux packages.
Linux Systems Developer, Nuasis, San Jose, CA, contract (Transquest/Enherent), February 2003 - March 2004
- Analysis, design, maintenance and administration of over 100
enterprise Linux servers, including 24x7 on-call.
- Migrated servers from RedHat 7.1 to ES3, including custom kickstart CDs and templatized diskettes.
- Developed utilities in perl, including templates and configurations for Nagios,
MRTG, and basic system configurations. Wrote custom plugins for Nagios.
- Packaged utilities and numerous CPAN modules into rpms, including writing or modifying spec
- Extensive troubleshooting of system and software upgrade issues for a tightly integrated
- Consultant, Bay Area, CA, June 2001 - Present
Various minor contracts, including PC system troubleshooting, software
installation, Debian Linux installation and administration, aiding in setting up DNS and other web configurations.
Periodic posting at http://blog.laubenheimer.net/
Unix System Administrator, Nominum, Inc, Redwood City, CA, January 2001 - June 2001
- Administered approximately 25 systems, mixed Solaris and NetBSD, for
Nominum's GNS service, including monitoring (with Netsaint). Performed configuration and upgrades. On call as
- Set up Netsaint (now Nagios) to use escalation and email paging triggers.
- Compiled and installed software, wrote shell and Perl scripts for automation and troubleshooting.
- Documented processes and installations.
- Unix Systems Developer, Global Crossing, Sunnyvale, CA, August 2000 - December 2000
Installed UNIX and Linux operating systems and customized
environments on both Sun and Intel based hardware.
Compiled, configured, and installed software. Handled job control,
user addition, and other system administration tasks. On call duty as
Release Engineer, Uniteq, contract (MindSource Software), Redwood City, CA, February 2000 - July 2000
- Developed, updated and maintained various Perl scripts, shell scripts
and CVS implementations for a build and release environment. Acted as secondary sysadmin and
- Diagnosed developer issues with CVS and the build system.
- Replicated the build environment on a second server for shipment overseas, including configuration and software
- Documented build environment in HTML on intranet.
ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND INTERESTS
Community service as a recreation:
- Chairman of SiliCon 2008 presented October 2008, for non-profit
- Worked staff positions for various Science Fiction conventions for the
past 5 years or more.
A habit of lifelong learning:
- Built first web site in 1996 on GeoCities, now moved to http://www.laubenheimer.net/
and expanded. Learned to hand code HTML subsequently.
- Learned Perl in early 1998 to make sites interactive.
- In 1999
learned Tcl and CSS, and in 2000 picked up CVS.
- In 2001
explored NetBSD, and upgraded Solaris skills to Solaris 8.
brought the addition of Oracle SQL skills and Debian Linux kernel
tweaking and compilation.
- 2003 delved into rpm development and
- 2004 explored the embedded space, and printer
- 2005 - 2008 brought more in-depth DNS, DHCP, and LDAP
as well as Twiki, Bugzilla and Nagios.
- For 2009, I took a course in VMWare.
- In 2010, started a small side business making hand crafts
- 2011 saw the update of RPM build skills and exploration of rsyslog
- 2012 and 2013 were spent learning several of Yahoo's proprietary technologies
- 2014 I learned config management with SaltStack, and working with AWS instances
- I intend to learn Chef in 2015
Classes: Unix Administration, Oracle 9i SQL, Oracle 9i DBA Fundamentals,
VMWare ESX Server
Immigration Status: US Citizen, sponsorship or visa not required for US positions.